Thematic urban walks (guided tours)
We intend to offer high school students a holistic experience and urban planning and design practice, through 4 sessions of urban walks
and observations in Bucharest public space, together with interactive discussions designed to stimulate attention, sense of observation, creativity and initiative of students and building a knowledge base for planning.
The urban walks will be represented by visits to the selected sites by the YPLAN team, in order to develop urban design projects even on other representative areas of Bucharest, for understanding the dynamics, configuration and functions of public spaces. We will soon list the routes that we’ve chosen!
Workshops with students
High schhool students will be involved in six thematic workshops, where they will be team-working on the planning and redesign of a selected number of public spaces. The concepts and ideas resulting from this process will be shared openly and in real time via the online platform with YPLAN young community and through mass-media channels.
The workshops will follow the topics listed below:
- What is a public space? Who is responsible for the public space?
- The role of public spaces – how does a public space function?
- Spatial mapping through Geoblog – analysis and observation
- Negotiation and communication in the public space
- The design of public spaces – from concept to implementation.
We will be working in three groups, in order to develop ideas, sketches and projects for urban spaces: small squares, streets, ad hoc parkings, parks and non-functional spaces. The steps we follow are the same ones as those faced by future planners and architects in college and then, in practice:
- We identify the site that will work on
- We make the student teams, get to know each other and work together
- We realize an urban spatial analysis: What is non-functional? Why? Which are the most valuable elements and which are the ones want to improve ?
- We think and outline alternatives, always considering not only the individual or group needs but also the local residents and other users of all ages.
- We select the best option and finalize the project.